Configure devices and device drivers
- Skill: Install devices
- Skill: Update, disable, and roll back drivers
- Skill: Resolve driver issues
- Skill: Configure driver settings
- Skill: Driver signing
- Skill: Manage driver packages
- Skill: Download and import driver packages
- Skill: Use Deployment Image Servicing And Management tool to add packages
- Thought experiment
- Thought experiment answers
Device Manager is the primary tool for installing and managing devices.
Device And Printers and Device Stage offer visual alternatives to Device Manager.
Windows Update automatically updates device drivers.
To install or pre-stage device drivers manually, use the PnPUtil command-line tool.
Updated device drivers that are not stable can be rolled back to the previous version.
You can use the File Signature Verification tool (Sigverif.exe) to check that all drivers are digitally signed and DISM to manage driver packages for offline images.
Plug And Play is the feature that enables Windows to detect and install the correct device driver automatically for the attached hardware.
Driver signing is enforced in Windows 10 and protects system security.
The new Windows Imaging And Configuration Designer (ICD) generates provisioning packages with the .ppkg file extension, which can customize Windows 10.