- Selecting all columns from a table
- Selecting individual columns from one or more tables
- Joining tables to see unmatched or missing records
- Filtering by single and multiple combinations of choices
- Adding calculations with the expression builder
- Returning the top matched records
- Eliminating duplicate values
- Creating a summary calculation
- Prompting to filter data with parameters
- Creating a crosstab query with the Query Wizard
- Simplifying a problem with a query by using other queries
- Adding two sets of query results together
- Resolving ambiguous outer joins
- Creating an additional query to resolve a problem with mixed joins
Creating a summary calculation
A summary query can be used to perform different summary calculations on your data. It supports the calculation of Sum, Max, Min, Avg, and other calculations.
After you have changed your query into a summary query, any new columns added to the query are displayed as the default Group By values and group the data by that column. You can also change the Total row to Where, when you want to filter the data, or to a calculation such as Avg.
Add a summary
Click the Totals button.
Use Group By to group your results; you can add multiple fields.
Choose summary calculations.
Filter the records to summarize by using the Where selection.