Manage Scheduling in Microsoft Outlook 2016
- Schedule appointments and events
- Convert calendar items
- Configure calendar item options
- Schedule and change meetings
- Respond to meeting requests
- Display different views of a calendar
- Skills review
- Practice tasks
Display different views of a calendar
Just as you can with other Outlook modules, you can specify the way that Outlook displays calendar information (the view) and the attribute by which that information is arranged (the arrangement).
The Calendar module has these four content views:
- Calendar This is the standard view in which you display your Outlook calendar. In the Day, Work Week, or Week arrangement, Calendar view displays the subject, location, and organizer (if space allows) of each appointment, meeting, or event, in addition to the availability bar and any special icons, such as Private or Recurrence.
- Preview In the Day, Work Week, or Week arrangement, Preview view displays more information, including information from the notes area of the appointment window, as space allows.
- List This list view displays all appointments, meetings, and events on your calendar.
- Active This list view displays only future appointments, meetings, and events.
When working in a list view, you can group calendar items by selecting a field from the Arrangement gallery on the View tab.
The available arrangements vary based on the view. In Calendar view and Preview view, the arrangements are based on the time span, and include the following:
- Day Displays one day at a time separated into half-hour increments.
Work Week Displays only the days of your work week. The default work week is Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Time slots that fall within the work week are white on the calendar; time slots outside of the work week are colored.
- Week Displays one calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) at a time.
- Month Displays one calendar month at a time, in addition to any preceding or following days that fall into the displayed weeks.
Schedule view Displays a horizontal view of the calendar for the selected time period. You can add other people’s calendars as rows in this view, so that you can easily compare multiple calendars for specific time periods.
Schedule view for a group of co-workers
This arrangement is very useful for comparing limited time periods for multiple calendars, such as those of the members of a calendar group.
You switch among arrangements by clicking the buttons in the Arrangement group on the View tab of the Calendar module ribbon.
In this view, you can display your entire work week at one time
You can use these additional tools to change the time period shown in the calendar:
- Display the previous or next time period by clicking the Back button or the Forward button next to the date or date range in the calendar header.
- Display the current day by clicking the Today button in the Go To group on the Home tab.
- Display a seven-day period starting with the current day by clicking the Next 7 Days button in the Go To group on the Home tab.
- Display week numbers to the left of each week in Month view and in the Date Navigator. If you implement this option, you can click the week tab to display that week.
To display your calendar for a month
Do either of the following:
- On the Home tab, in the Arrange group, click the Month button to display your calendar for the month.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+4.
To navigate in Month view
Do either of the following:
- To the left of the date range in the calendar header, click the Forward button to move the calendar forward one month, or the Back button to move the calendar back one month.
- On the View tab, in the Current View group, click the Change View button and then, in the gallery, click Preview to display additional details on the monthly calendar.
To display a seven-day week in the calendar
- In the Date Navigator at the top of the Folder Pane, point to the left edge of a calendar row that contains one or more bold dates.
- When the cursor changes to point toward the calendar, click once to display the selected seven-day week in the calendar.
To display your work week schedule
Do either of the following:
- On the Home tab, in the Arrange group, click the Work Week button.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+2.
The first time slot of your defined work day appears at the top of the pane. Time slots within your work day are white; time slots outside of your work day are shaded.
To display your calendar for a day
- On the View tab, in the Arrangement group, click the Day button to display only the selected day’s schedule.
To display today’s schedule
- On the Home tab, in the Go To group, click the Today button. If the calendar wasn’t previously displaying the current week, it does so now. The times displayed remain the same. The current day and the current time slot are highlighted.
To display your task list on the Calendar
On the View tab, in the Layout group, click the Daily Task List button and then do any of the following:
- Click Normal to display the task list area below the calendar.
- Click Minimized to display a single row below the calendar. The minimized Daily Task List displays a count of your total, active, and completed tasks for the day.
- Click Off to hide the task list.
To return the calendar to its default settings
- In the Change View gallery, click Calendar to return the calendar to its default settings.
- Then in the Current View group, click Reset View to return to the default calendar state.