How to Change the Appearance of a Workbook in Microsoft Excel 2016
The practice files for these tasks are located in the Excel2016SBS\Ch04 folder. You can save the results of the tasks in the same folder.
Open the FormatCells workbook in Excel, and then perform the following tasks:
- Change the formatting of cell B4 so the text it contains is displayed in 14 point, bold type.
- Center the text within cell B4.
- Change the background fill color of cell B4.
- Draw a border around the cell range B4:C13.
Open the DefineStyles workbook in Excel, and then perform the following tasks:
- Apply an existing cell style to the values in cells B4 and C3.
- Create a new cell style and apply it to the values in cell ranges B5:B13 and C4:N4.
- Edit the new cell style you just created.
Apply workbook themes and Excel table styles
Open the ApplyStyles workbook in Excel, and then perform the following tasks:
- Display the MilesLastWeek worksheet and change the Office theme applied to the workbook.
- Change the colors used for the current Office theme.
- Save a new Office theme based on the settings currently applied to the workbook.
- On the Summary worksheet, create an Excel table from the list of data in the cell range A1:B10.
- Define a new Excel table style and apply it to the same data.
Make numbers easier to read
Open the FormatNumbers workbook in Excel, and then perform the following tasks:
- Apply a phone number format to the value in cell G3.
- Apply a currency or accounting format to the value in cell H3.
- For cell H3, create a custom number format that displays the value in that cell as $255,000 plus benefits.
Change the appearance of data based on its value
Open the CreateConditionalFormats workbook in Excel, and then perform the following tasks:
- Apply a conditional format to cell C15 that displays the cell’s contents with a red background if the value the cell contains is less than 90 percent.
- Apply a data bar conditional format to cells C4:C12.
- Apply a color scale conditional format to cells F4:F12.
- Apply an icon set conditional format to cells I4:I12.
- Delete the conditional format from the cell range C4:C12.
- Edit the data bar conditional format so the bars are a different color.
Add images to worksheets
Open the AddImages workbook in Excel, and then perform the following tasks:
- Insert the phone image file from the Excel2016SBS\Ch04 folder.
- Remove the background from the phone image.
- Resize the phone image so it will fit between the Call Volume label in cell B4 and the top of the worksheet.
- Move the image to the upper-left corner of the worksheet, resizing it if necessary so it doesn’t block any of the worksheet text.
- Add a repeating background image by using the texture image from the Excel2016SBS\Ch04 folder.