This product currently is not for sale.
- Published 11/13/2002
- 1st Edition
- 544 pages
- Book 978-0-7356-1245-7
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) greatly improves on IPv4 by vastly increasing the number of available addresses and by enabling more efficient routing, simpler configuration, built-in IP security, better support for real-time data delivery, and other essential enhancements. Find out all about this next-generation IP—from its features and benefits to its packet structure and protocol processes—in UNDERSTANDING IPV6. This book-plus-CD package thoroughly discusses IPv6 protocols and processes and describes how IPv6 is supported in the latest versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system, including the upcoming Windows Server 2003 family. It also describes transition technologies that allow you to deploy IPv6 in IPv4 intranets and across the IPv4 Internet. It’s ideal for any network administrator, consultant, engineer, technician, or student who wants to understand the importance of IPv6 and how it works and begin planning to transition to IPv6 internetworking.
Topics covered include:
- Features and benefits of IPv6
- IPv6 in the Windows Server 2003 family
- IPv6 addressing and the IPv6 header
- Internet Control Message Protocol for IPv6 (ICMPv6)
- Neighbor and multicast listener discovery
- Address autoconfiguration
- IPv6 name resolution and routing
- Coexistence and migration
- IPv6 mobility
- Link layer support for IPv6
- Changes to Windows Sockets in IPv6
- An IPv6 RFC index
- Answers to self-test questions about IPv6
- Reference tables
- Plus how to set up an IPv6 test lab
To learn of IPv6 developments that have occurred since publication of this book download Updates to Understanding IPv6, a white paper by author Joseph Davies.
Winner of a Distinguished Award and the Best of Show at the Puget Sound Chapter of the Society for Technical Communication (STC), January 2004). Winner of a Distinguished Award at the International STC competition, May 2004.
For customers who purchase an ebook version of this title, instructions for downloading the CD files can be found in the ebook.
If you find an error, you can report it to us through our Submit errata page.
Other titles you might like
- Enterprise Mobility Suite Managing BYOD and Company-Owned Devices
- eBook (Watermarked) $19.99
- Understanding IPv6, 3rd Edition
- Book $49.99